Terran is the most experienced designer, manufacturer and erector of SACON structures.
Our keyed and overlapping modular panels are used for live-fire shoothouses, backstops, protective walls and many other projectile-containment applications.
SACON Assault Compound with three-story main building, auxiliary buildings, grenade house, and perimeter wall.
View of SACON Assault Compound from outside perimeter wall.
Portion of SACON compound resembling a government complex.
Government complex under construction with two-story guard towers.
SACON Live-Fire House Constructed with Keyed Panels.
High Volume Shooting Range with Expendable SACON Bullet Traps, Wood Target Hangers and SACON T-Panel Backstop.
SACON®is the safest, most flexible munitions containment system available - and the most environmentally friendly!
Benefits of SACON for Firing Ranges and Shoot Houses
- Closed-cell foamed concrete provides dry, alkaline medium for holding lead.
- Capable of capturing most small arms munitions and grenades.
- Cannot burn or rot (can be used with tracers).
- Construction techniques are similar to conventional concrete (block, pre-cast panels, or cast-in-place).
- Alkalinity results in low lead leaching.
- Used SACON generally considered construction waste -- non-hazardous and non-flammable. (Results of Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) tests)
- Can be formed into any shape and pigmented if desired.
Terran SACON Structures are Easy to Construct
- Keyed panels interlock or overlap for complete bullet containment.
- Using a few basic block types, buildings are simple to erect and reconfigurable.
- SACON coated ceiling/floor panels make multi-story buildings possible.
- Terran can design and build a system, or assist your architects and engineers with designing structures to maximize your training experience.
- Designers, see our Simple Guidelines to Constructing Terran SACON Buildings and Structures (PDF, 2.3 MB).
We have prepared a summary of the Specifications for Making and Testing SACON.
Sample SACON Bullet Penetration (for 90 lb/ft3 density block)
|Rifle Caliber||Depth||Pistol Caliber||Depth|
|22 long (37 gr)||1.5"||.38 - cal.||1"|
|5.56 (56 gr)||2.5"||.45 - cal.||1.25"|
|270 (150 gr)||4"||9 mm (115 gr)||3"|
|7.62 x 39 (126 gr)||4"||7.62 x 25 (85 gr)||3"|
|380 (95 gr)||1.5"|
Penetration depths can be adjusted by modifying the SACON density. The density can be increased for higher energy bullets and decreased for lower energy rounds.
Terran is the most experienced SACON provider in the U.S.
We have designed and constructed SACON structures for indoor and outdoor ranges and shoot houses since 1999. The US Army Corps of Engineers and Terran (through a CRADA) manufactured the first SACON panels and holds patents and licenses on SACON. Many improvements in designs and manufacturing have been made since then. Structures are typically a combination of standard blocks fit together to form backstops, frames, walls or expendable bullet traps. Custom shapes, figures and structures can also be made. Terran's SACON process is mobile; allowing custom manufacturing at or near your site and SACON can even be "poured in place." Patching services are also available to recondition worn panels instead of replacement.
Contact Terran Corporation if you have any questions about SACON.
4080 Executive Drive
Beavercreek, OH 45430-1061
Phone: (937) 320-3601
Fax: (937) 320-3620
Or send e-mail to Josh Brittingham
Additional Information about SACON:
SACON Coatings - PPC SACON (description and video)
SACON - Past Installations by Terran (PDF document)
Simple Guidelines to Constructing Terran SACON Buildings and Structures (PDF document)
Brochure: Shock-Absorbing Concrete for Today's Shooting Ranges
Presentation: Development of a Movable Wall Live-Fire Shoot House for Small Arms and Grenade Training
Technical Paper: Development of a New Bullet Trap Design Using Shock-Absorbing Concrete (SACON)
Examples of SACON projects Terran has completed:
SACON Live-Fire Shoot House MOUT Facility 29 Palms, California
SACON Design and Fabrication Fort Bragg, NC